Out and About
Secreted away from the hectic tourist hotspots, the Charente region has a wealth of rewards for the visitor.
Cognac-producing vineyards, music and arts festivals, picturesque villages, a sunshine record second only to the Mediterranean coast areas… and much more.
There are numerous events throughout summer, when Cognac producers open their doors to welcome visitors and share their passion for Cognac and its heritage.
Many music festivals and concerts take place over the summer months, including Cognac Blues festival (first week in July) and the classical concerts of violin sur sable on the beach at Royan in late July. Bastille Day is a National Holiday and it sees the night sky lit up with fireworks on July 14.
From our doorstep you can go for a walk or cycle ride in the forest or around the quiet country lanes or to a local village – but a car is essential even if just for a grocery shop.
Within 30 minutes’ drive
- Famous for Cognac, the local towns of Jarnac and Cognac – but don’t forget the local, small producers, most of which offer tours and/or tastings – pineau is a must – a local speciality aperitif made from Cognac
- The city of Angoulême – its famous murals and, in September, the Circuit des Remparts classic car racing weekend
- A visit/tour/tasting at a cognac house
- A chocolate-making experience at a local chocolate factory
- Boat trips
- Gallo-Roman theatre at Les Bouchauds
- Water sports (kayaking, canoeing, water/jet-skiing)
- Golf courses
- The famous market at Rouillac on 27th of each month where the whole town becomes one big market selling almost everything you can imagine
Top: Angoulême murals and Circuit des Remparts | Jarnac | Bottom: Cognac | Courvoisier at Jarnac | Gallo Roman Theatre at Les Bouchards by JLPC CC BY-SA 3.0 original file
Up to one hour away
- Beautiful villages and historic towns – many with a chateau such as Verteuil-sur-Charente, Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, Villebois-Lavalette, Jonzac, Barbezieux and Rochefoucauld
- The town of Saintes with its Roman amphitheatre
- A visit to the Chateau de La Roche Courbon
Top: Aubterre | Rochefoucauld | Verteuil-sur-Charente | Villebois-Lavalette by JLPC CC BY-SA 3.0 original file | Bottom:| Chateau de La Courbon | Saintes amphitheatre
- The Atlantic coastline and beautiful beaches at Royan or Saint Palais-sur-Mer
- The lovely town of Rochefort with its maritime history
- The beautiful islands near La Rochelle of Ile de Re, Ile d’Oleron (Fort Boyard from the TV game show can be visited from here), the car-free Ile d’Aix and the smallest Ile Madame
- Futuroscope (theme park based upon multimedia) near Poitiers
- Cassinomagus archeological park
- Oradour-sur-Glane (close to Limoges airport)
- Saint Emilion and its famous wine
- For a day trip, hi-speed trains to Paris or Bordeaux